Saturday, April 25, 2009

MySpace and Facebook

Hi 27'ers:

For some time I've maintained a Rio Linda Library MySpace presence. Lately there has not been the time or energy to keep it up. The new website changes made some links disappear or not have the same impact. Much of my enthusiasm for maintaining the site has dwindled or disappeared entirely. Thoughts of a Facebook presence for the library intrigued me since it seemed to be slowly overcoming MySpace as the place to be. Apparently MySpace is feeling the pressure to keep up as well.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/04/22/confirmed-myspace-ceo-chris-dewolfe-steps-down/

Perhaps I'll keep an eye on what changes, if any, this will have on the resurgence of MySpace. Only a handful of patrons are listed as "Friends"; the majority are authors who are trying to get their product out there. This isn't the mix I was hoping for. While I've been able to get some prizes and goodies from authors to make Summer Reading more of an event than it already is, plus it is pretty groovy to have a famous author be your "Friend", beyond that I don't think there is much of a return in terms of program attendance or library use.

What have your experiences been with MySpace and Facebook? Do you have any design tips? Who visits your site? Have you given up maintaining them? Does your presence on social networking sites generate publicity, program attendance, and library visits?

2 comments:

  1. From personal experience, Daughter has told me that none of her friends would even consider friending the library. They MIGHT friend a librarian, but only in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray:
    I think you and I started our Myspace's at the same time. I,too, have lost some interest in it and pay my daughter to keep it updated (which she does NOT do with regularity) but that's okay. She got everything in for summer reading club. I also agree with you about authors (they are my main "friends") But I do think that's kinda cool - look who's MY friend!

    Anyway, I'm not going to dump the myspace as long as my daughter will keep it up.
    Good luck!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete