Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easiest and Hardest habits

Easiest: That would have to be accepting responsiblity for your own learning. I won't say that I've never met a workshop I didn't like but you normally don't have to twist my arm when asking me to learn something new.

Hardest: Teaching/Mentoring others. When I learn a new skill or procedure it is usually mastered after a few repetitions. Maybe I'll make a word association out of the lesson to retain it. Sometimes I'll use visual cues to remember it. Fine and dandy. However, when demonstrating or replicating a lesson for someone else, who may not use any of the tools I use to learn, we run into a roadblock. Being a supervisor has, in some ways, forced me to look at explanations from many different angles until you find one that 'hooks' your listener. I'm still a work in progress.

3 comments:

  1. I never thought about different ways of learning. I'll keep your ideas in mind as I coach both staff and public in the future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're participating, Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you always do a really great job of letting everyone in Youth Services know about the new things you have learned from workshops. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete